Saturday, March 27, 2010

Leaping Forward to my First Chiffon Cake: Green Tea Chiffon Cake

Ever since I gained interest in baking, I've researched online on the different techniques of baking. One of the most common is that of baking a chiffon cake. Chiffon cakes are so delicate, a small mistake and the cake will be a flop. I've read many recipes and troubleshooting tips before I had the courage to try one. For me, the most difficult steps in making this is the beating of egg whites and folding it into the batter.



My mum has a large tube pan which she used to make pandan chiffon in. For her, she has never succeeded in making a good one as the cake always turns out to be too wet. I decided not to use her tube pan in case the cake turns out to be a flop and I had to finish the whole cake by myself. So I got a 16 cm chiffon mould instead, which requires a 2-egg recipe.


While in the oven, the cake raised by quite a bit but I did not see any significant cracks on the surface. After cooling, the sides got pulled away from the pan. After some googling, I found that I could have over-beaten the egg whites. Also, I had difficulty folding in the whites because there were always bits of stubborn lumps in the batter.

This was supposed to be a green tea chiffon cake by the way. I used the green tea powder I bought from Japan, but it is not of good quality. Even as a drink, the green tea fragrance was very faint. I used about 3 sachets of powder in this cake, but there is hardly any fragrance of the tea. And the colour is an unappealing brownish green. And I don't see the golden brown surface of typical chiffon cakes on my cake. :`(



The texture is also unlike a chiffon cake. It's more like a sponge cake. It is also a little wet. I wonder if I have overfolded the whites, or is it because the cake was too close to the table while it cooled, leading to condensation? In the end I finished about half the cake, and my family members had to help me with the rest, to their dismay.

Ingredients (makes one 16 cm cake):
A:
2 egg yolks
20 g castor sugar
B:
25 ml corn oil
35 ml warm water + 1 tsp green tea powder
C:
50g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
D:
2 egg whites
20 g castor sugar

Method:
  1. Whisk ingredients (A) with hand whisk till sugar dissolved and the mixture turns pale and sticky.
  2. Drizzle in ingredients (B) in the respective order and mix well before adding the next item.
  3. Sieve in ingredients (C) and mix till no lumps.
  4. Beat egg whites with electric beater till frothy and add in sugar by thirds until stiff peaks form.
  5. Put half portion of egg white into yolk mixture and fold witth spatula. Fold in remaining egg whites.
  6. Pour batter into a 16 cm chiffon cake pan, bang the pan on a hard surface several times to release the bubbles and bake at 170 deg C for 25 minutes or till cooked.
  7. Invert cake immediately to cool completely.
Adapted from Small Small Baker's Green Tea Chiffon Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment