Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sweet, Moist and Utterly Sweet: Chewy Chocolate Chips Cookies



My sister has been bugging me to bake these cookies ever since she has gotten the recipe from her friend. She had tasted those baked by her friend and found them to be very tasty.

I bought a new pack of chocolate chips as I only had very little of it left after baking those muffins. I decided to give those expensive chips a try. Turns out that they were bigger than what I had at home, which was to my horror, as I can't imagine seeing large spots of brown on my cookies or muffins.


The cookie dough was easy to prepare and handle. Just cream the brown sugar with butter ,then stir in the rest of the ingredients. The coffee powder added made the cookies more fragrant.
I personally think that the chocolate chips were too large. Although it shouldn't affect the taste but it is not very pleasing to the eye.



The cookies were very chewy due to the use of purely brown sugar. It was fragrant because of the addition of a little coffee powder, but it was too sweet. Probably because the chocolate chips themselves already contained some sugar, and the amount of brown sugar used was also quite a lot. I would definitely reduce the amount of sugar and substitute some with white sugar to make it less chewy, and replace some chocolate chips with nuts so that the sweetness will be reduced.

Ingredients:
115 g unsalted butter
200 g light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla essence
200 g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
225 g chocolate chips

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coffee powder in a bowl.
  3. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
  5. Stir flour mixture in. Mix in chocolate chips.
  6. Roll into balls and place onto prepared tray. Flatten slightly with fingers.
  7. Bake for 8-10 mins or until golden brown.
  8. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Adapted from a book owned by a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment