Friday, April 2, 2010

Second Chance: Chocolate Chiffon Cake



After last week's not-so-fantastic green tea chiffon cake, I'm keen to try another chiffon cake, to do some trial and error. I chose a chocolate chiffon cake recipe so that I will have a easier time eating it if it turns out not so well again. I halved the recipe to suit my 16 cm pan and omitted the chocolate chips. This time round, I made sure I beat the egg whites for a shorter time. But I still had the problem of stubborn egg-white lumps while folding it in.


This time round, I used a funnel to raise the cake pan while cooling so that there will be less condensation. Surprisingly, the cake did not deflate but a lot while cooling.
After cooling, I touched the surface of the cake and to my disappointment, the surface was pretty hard, which was not supposed to be for a chiffon cake!


The unmoulded cake didn't look that bad but the air holes were quite big and the texture did not look very soft.
The reason the surface was hard: see the dense layer at the bottom? That is the reason. And see the big holes? I suppose it's due to the stubborn egg white lumps which I failed to get rid of. The taste was so-so. It was soft initially, but became drier and rougher after a few hours. This time round, I'm thankful to my grandma who finished up most of the cake. I shall take a break from chiffon cakes before my family starts to hate them.

Ingredients (makes a 16 cm cake):
A:
2 egg yolks
20g castor sugar
1/8 tsp salt
20g canola oil
B:
70g Warmed Fresh Milk (I used Meiji)
13g Cocoa Powder
*Mix well
C:
60g Cake flour
1 tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Baking Soda
*Sift twice
D:
2 egg whites
25g castor sugar

Method:
  1. Whisk yolks and sugar (in A) with a hand whisk till sugar dissolves and the mixture turns pale and sticky. Dribble in the oil and salt and stir.
  2. Dribble in the chocolate milk (B) and stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well (C).
  4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites till foamy and frothy. Add in sugar in thirds and beat till stiff peaks (D).
  5. Fold in the whites in thirds into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  6. Pour the batter into a 16 cm chiffon tube pan. Tap the pan on the table sharply a few times to get rid of air bubbles.
  7. Bake at 180 deg C for the first 10 mins, then turn down the temperature to 170 deg C and bake for another 20 mins. Reduce the temperature to 160 deg C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
  8. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it has completely cooled.
Adapted from Rei's Double Chocolate Chips Chiffon Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment