Sunday, May 30, 2010

Baking with Cream: Cream Crackers



I bought a 1-litre carton of heavy cream for the eclair filling. I'm not sure how long the leftover cream can last, thus it's a race against time to finish that whole carton. The only recipes that came to my mind were cream crackers and ice cream.


Seems like the size of my cup and that of the recipe is different. I had to add additional cream in order for the dough to come together. I used my new pie cutter, which I had no idea why I bought it, to cut the dough into squares.
Baking each side for 10 minutes, I get these soda-crackers-like cream crackers. Not fantastically good, but good enough for me.

Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup heavy cream

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
  3. Combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, stirring with a fork.
  4. Slowly add the cream while continuing to stir. Mix well until the dough holds together in a ball. Add more cream slowly if the dough is too dry.
  5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of about 0.5 cm.
  6. Use a pie cutter to cut into small squares.
  7. Place the crackers on the cookie sheet, and prick the center of each cracker thrice with the tines of a fork.
  8. Bake on one side for 8 minutes, turn the crackers over with a metal spatula, and bake for 6 to 8 minutes more, or until the crackers have several golden spots and are slightly colored on the edges.
  9. Remove and place on a rack to cool.


By the way, I have made my first batch of green tea ice-cream as well. After watching a youtube video on making matcha ice-cream without having to cook custard, I decided to give it a try with my leftover cream and green tea powder which nobody wants to drink. Since I do not have an ice-cream maker, I adopted the "whisk every 30 minutes" method.

Ingredients (makes 500 ml ice-cream):
60 g caster sugar
250 ml low fat UHT milk
150 ml heavy cream
~2 tablespoons green tea powder

Method:
  1. Dissolve sugar and green tea powder in milk.
  2. Whip cream to soft peaks.
  3. Mix cream and milk mixture and stir. The mixture will be lumpy.
  4. Place in freezer for 30 mins. Remove and whisk it.
  5. Repeat for every 30 minutes until you get sick of it. I did this for 9 times before giving up.
Adapted from Cooking with Dog's Matcha Ice cream.

The outcome is not too bad. It's not too sweet and the green tea fragrance is strong enough. But the ice cream is very hard and I can taste bits of ice crystals. Of course, I shouldn't expect too much from this easy method of making ice cream without an ice-cream maker.

2 comments:

  1. i wan to try this!!! looks gd lehz..heez

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty tasteless, like soda crackers. Easy to make though.

    ReplyDelete