Saturday, May 1, 2010

Brownie in a Ring: Nut and Chocolate Chips Brownie



I wanted to try out my new Pullman tin, but I'm having an exam on Monday, which leaves me no time to make a loaf of bread. So I decided on this nut and chocolate chip brownie recipe from HHB's blog. The best thing about this recipe is that it uses vegetable oil instead of butter. I halved the recipe as I know I would probably have to eat most of it.


I used my leftover chocolate couverture. I wanted to get a block of chocolate for baking some time back, but the chocolate only comes in blocks of 1 kg, so I thought I should just get a small packet of chocolate. The only type of chocolate in packet form I saw was the couverture. I had no idea couverture is different from normal chocolate until I did some read up on the net. But nevertheless, I still used it for this recipe.
I finally got to use the walnuts I bought a few weeks back. I added in more walnuts and less chocolate chips, in the hope of reducing sweetness of the sugar.


The final batter was this gooey mixture. I did not have a square pan and the new Pullman tin was too tall, and my 7 inch cake tin seemed too big for the batter, so I decided to use the tube pan instead. But after pouring in the batter I realised it might have been too small.
The batter kept rising and rising in the oven. I tested it many many times with the skewer and it never came out clean. I know it should not be clean, but I suppose it shouldn't be too gooey as well? I extended the bake time by 5 minutes and took the pan out when it had became less wet. The crust was nicely formed but the brownie was quite tall.



I unmoulded it when it was still warm and it was a total mess. The brownie was very very moist and crumbly and it did not help that the tube pan was difficult to handle. The warm brownie tasted good, moist and chocolaty with the crunchy walnuts. But after it has cooled, it became drier and crispier, though heating it up and eating it with ice cream still made it a good dessert.

Lessons learnt: Use a normal cake tin or square pan instead of tube pan. Even though the batter seems uncooked, it is normal and can be removed from the oven when the baking time is up. Unmould and cut the brownie when it has fully cooled.

Ingredients (makes 8):
75 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
60 ml sunflower oil
100 g light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
30 g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp chocolate chips
40g chopped walnuts

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degC. Grease a 6 inch cake pan.
  2. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
  3. With an electric mixer, beat together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl.
  4. Stir in the melted chocolate then beat well until evenly mixed.
  5. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into the batter. With a spatula, fold thoroughly until all the flour mixture incorporates into the batter.
  6. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix well.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Spread the mixture evenly to the edges. (The mixture is rather sticky and gooey.)
  8. Bake for about 30 ~ 35 mins until the top is firm and crusty. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares.
Adapted from HHB's Nut and Chocolate Chip Brownie.

No comments:

Post a Comment