Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Loaf of Bread



I finally got a chance to use my Pullman tin! I had wanted to bake the chocolate torte since it's mother's day, but I think we are having a chocolate overdose, and my mum would probably be happier if I DON'T bake a cake. So it's the best chance for me to bake a loaf of bread with my new Pullman tin.


Here it is. A bread tin with a lid, though the sliding of lid is not very smooth, but I will make do with it.


This recipe has egg in it. As a result, the dough was wetter and harder to handle initially. But the dough is softer and smoother, so I do hope the same goes for the final product. This time round, I added in flour to the liquid in 2 batches, so that I could stir the semi-liquid dough for the gluten to develop (hopefully) first before adding the rest of the flour. I weighed out the dough so as to divide it equally into 3 portions.


I actually had a big problem with shaping the dough. It was difficult to keep the dough in shape. I tried my best, but the result is this ugly swiss rolled dough. After re-looking at some other bread recipes, I realised I forgot to fold in the sides of the dough before rolling up, thus resulting in these ugly rolls. After proofing for 1 hour, the dough climbed to about 80% of the tin. Ready to be baked.


I did not put the lid on initially as I wanted to monitor the browning of the surface. But I was surprised by the quick browning. I put the lid on halfway into baking as I was afraid it will start to burn.
The freshly baked loaf smells nice, looks not very perfect and I hope it tastes nice too.



The sliced bread looks good. It's very soft and tastes pretty ok. But not sure how it will taste like for tomorrow's breakfast.

Update: The bread still tastes ok on the next morning, but my sister commented that the smell of milk is strong. And my mum says it's not soft and asked me not to make bread again. Haiz. ='(

Ingredients:
140 g fresh milk (I used low-fat UHT milk)
35 g egg
25 g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
250 g bread flour
1 tsp Instant yeast
40g unsalted butter

Method:
  1. Sift bread flour into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar, salt and yeast and stir. Add in milk and egg and stir. Use hands to gather mixture into a dough. Knead dough for 10 mins.
  2. Add in butter and continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Mine didn't pass the window pane test even after kneading for 1 hour.)
  3. Shape the dough into a smooth round ball and place in a mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it rise till double in volume for about 60mins.
  4. Remove dough and punch out the gas. Divide dough into 3 equal portion. Roll and shape into balls. Let the doughs rest and relax for 15 mins. (this 'relaxing' time is needed so that the dough will be easier to roll out and shaped).
  5. On a lightly floured surface, flatten one dough and roll out into a longish shape. Roll up the dough swiss-roll style. Do the same for the two remaining doughs.
  6. Flatten the rolled-up dough and roll out again into a long rectangular shape. Roll up tightly, and make as many rolls you can, swiss-roll style for the second time. Do the same for the two remaining doughs.
  7. Place doughs in lightly greased bread tin/pan. Let the doughs proof for the second time, until it fills up 80% of the tin/pan. Cover with cling wrap.
  8. Bake at pre-heated oven at 190 deg C for 30 to 35mins.
  9. Unmould the bread immediately when removed from the oven. Let cool completely before slicing.
Adapted from HHB's milk loaf.

4 comments:

  1. how did your family find it?personally i think it looks great =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can help you with the pie ingredients!!!!me me me!haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister commented that the bread has milk smell. I personally think it tastes ok...but of course I may be biased. Haha. Yeah, I think you can fry stuff much better than me. I am totally hopeless with the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. either way i think i can accept ur bread =) my tolerance level is high! =) okie..deal..i fry the ingredients

    ReplyDelete