Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chocolate High: Chocolate Cookies

After the first baking stint, I was keen to look for other simple recipes to try for my second baking experiment. For a beginner like me, videos are most useful as I need to know the correct consistency of the dough or batter. Naturally, Nigella Lawson came to mind. Like millions of viewers, I love to see her cooking shows. She makes everything seems so beautiful and delicious. After looking at her baking videos, I settled on this chocolate Christmas cookies because it seems simple enough for me to handle and is not too chocolaty.



The video says "throw everything into a food processor", but I do not own a food processor, so I used the traditional creaming method to make the batter. My mum had a 30-year-old electric mixer, which I though might be of good use. But unfortunately, due to its long rest time of 20 years, it decided to call it quits once and for all, halfway into creaming the butter and sugar. So in the end, my sister and I took turns to manually complete the creaming process.



When the baking time stated on the recipe was up, the cookie dough looked like it hasn't been cooked at all, but learning from last week's lesson, I took the tray out and leave it to cool. And true enough, after the cooling, the cookies looked normal.



The original recipe called for an icing sugar-cocoa powder glaze, but I decided to reduce the sugar content by just using plain chocolate. Not a good idea. I bought chocolate couverture which is difficult to solidify (I think I've heated it to too high a temperature), so in the end, the cookies had to be stored in a messy way, with all the chocolate goo sticking together.

The cookie was not fantastic, a little too sweet and the chocolate topping was too rich. But of course, I had fun baking it. If only I can find a guinea pig to help me finish all these high fat high calorie food.

Ingredients (makes 25 cookies):
125 g butter, soften at room temperature
75 g caster sugar
20 g cocoa powder
150 g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl.
  3. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Fold in flour mixture.
  5. Pinch and roll dough into balls with hands. Place dough on prepared tray and slightly flatten the dough.
  6. Bake for 15 mins. The cookies will appear undercooked, but it will continue to cook while cooling.
  7. Transfer cookies to cooling rack after 10 mins.
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Christmas Chocolate Cookies.

1 comment:

  1. i dun wan to be the guinea pig to fill all!!!! but can pass one to me..i need to diet u know..haha..it looked yummy

    ReplyDelete