Sunday, May 16, 2010

Savoury Bake: Chicken Pie



Finally. I finally got the courage to try a pie. The biggest challenge is of course to fry the filling. I gave my mum the job because I'm sure if I were to try it, the whole pie will be inedible. After 4 hours in the kitchen, my first chicken pie is done.


Potatoes, carrots, button mushrooms, chicken, onions and hardboiled eggs.
Rolling out the dough was quite tough as the dough is soft and tears when I lift it up. I forgot to poke holes on the base before spooning the fillings in!


I made one big 21 cm pie instead of 6 small ones. I copied the decoration from Happy Home Baking blog.
After extending the baking time for countless times, the top finally browned. But when I cut it, the inside of the crust seems under done. After popping into the oven for another 20 mins, the crust still seems under done, but I wonder if this is normal, as the filling is wet.



We just ate it as it is. The filling is ok, but the crust is quite buttery.
Probably won't try this again unless someone requests for this. Too tedious.

Ingredients (makes one 21 cm pie):
Pastry:
150 g cold butter
250 g plain flour
1 tsp sugar
1 egg yolk
A pinch of salt
100 g yogurt

Fillings (adjust to own preference):
Diced potatoes
Diced carrots
Sliced button mushrooms
1 chicken breast, diced
1 hard boiled egg
1 onion
Seasonings (oil, salt, soy sauce, corn starch, pepper)

Method:
Pastry:
  1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and salt. Cut cold butter into mixture until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
  2. Add in egg yolk and yogurt and gather into a soft dough.
  3. Put dough into refrigerator for at least 30 mins.
Fillings:
  1. Fry onions in oil until fragrant.
  2. Add in potatoes and carrots and fry till soft. Add in chicken meat and fry till cooked. Add in sliced mushrooms.
  3. Add seasonings and water.
  4. Boil and peel an egg and slice into 8 pieces.
To assemble:
  1. Roll pastry dough to 5 mm thickness.
  2. Cut dough to slightly larger than pie pan diameter. Place dough into pie pan and press down onto base and sides of pan. Poke many holes on bottom of dough with a fork.
  3. Spoon in fillings and boiled egg.
  4. Cut another piece of dough to the size of the pie pan. Place on top and decorate as desired. Poke holes on the top of the pie.
  5. Bake pie at 180 deg C for 30 mins or until golden brown.
Adapted from My Culinary Journal's Chicken Pie.





3 comments:

  1. i tot u making small ones!!! haha..big pies are tough! but u received gd comments this time round =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer small ones but the small tart foil pans come in big packs, which I have no use for. So I made one big one instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. next time can try the small ones..then can give pple..haha..

    ReplyDelete