Sunday, June 27, 2010

Butterless Bakes: Oreo Muffins



After last week's disastrous muffins, I decided to modify my trusted muffin recipe and finish up the oreo biscuits and almond nuts with this small batch of oreo muffins. I substituted the butter with canola oil as I was in a rush and I was lazy to melt the butter. Not that I'm complaining, with this I'm eating less saturated fat. =P



I only made 5 muffins, with half an egg. I have no idea how it turns out because for the first time, I did not taste my freshly baked muffins. But it definitely feels softer than last week's.

Ingredients (makes 5 small muffins):
65 g flour
30 g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
30 ml canola oil
60 ml milk
1/2 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Oreo sandwich cookies (with filling removed and chopped)
Some chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, salt, nuts and chopped Oreo.
  3. Whisk egg, milk, oil and vanilla extract in a bowl.
  4. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Do not over stir.
  5. Spoon batter into paper muffin cups until 2/3 full.
  6. Bake for 20 mins or until skewer inserted into centre of muffin comes out clean.
  7. Cool on wire rack.
Adapted from Joyofbaking's chocolate chip muffins recipe.



Cookies made from canola oil instead of butter. I was worried about the outcome, that's why I only baked half a batch. The butter counterpart is smoother and more fragrant and the crumbs are softer. This batch is a little too hard and I guess it's because I've overbaked it. It seems like this vegetable oil cookies takes a shorter time to cook than butter ones.

Ingredients (makes about 36 bite-size cookies):
75 g plain flour
75 g rolled oats (I used Quaker)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
75 g caster sugar
25g chocolate chips
25 g chopped walnuts
1/2 egg
60 ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
30 ml milk

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, sugar, nuts and chocolate chips in a bowl.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and milk.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
  5. Using wet hands (as the dough is very sticky), pinch and roll dough into balls. Place on baking tray and press down slighly with the tines of a fork.
  6. Bake for about 10 mins or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
Adapted from HHB's Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

3 comments:

  1. the looks not very attractive but haf to try if they taste good =) so u prefer using butter or canola oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crushed Oreos always makes the muffins look dirty. I haven't tried it yet though. I prefer oil actually, because it's healthier but with butter it's usually tastier. Well, that's usually the case isn't it, tasty = unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. true..haha..i guess i wld stick to butter..haha

    ReplyDelete