Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chocolateless: Wholemeal Cookies



It's no secret that I love chocolate. Chocolate-anything appeals to me, even chocolate bread. Thus chocolate is a staple in my baking stints. I always have a stash of chocolate chips, dark chcolate and cocoa in my cupboard. But this week, I made an exception not to include chocolate as I haven't fully recovered from last week's sore throat.


Berry jam muffins: I halved the recipe and I used my left over cream mixed with water to replace milk. The batter is very thick and dry, probably due to the use of cream. Although the muffins are soft, the smell of yogurt is too strong. I'm not sure if it's due to the yogurt, but I feel that the muffins are quite mushy, or perhaps I should bake it for a longer time. In any case, I think it's better for me to stick to chocolate ones. Once again, I have flying saucer top muffins, I guess I will stir the batter a bit more next time.

Ingredients (makes 5 small muffins):
105g plain flour
25g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
30 ml canola oil
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
60 ml milk (I used 40 ml cream and 20 ml water)
some Jam

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 220 deg C.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. In another bowl, beat together egg and vanilla extract. Add oil, yogurt and milk, mix well. Add to flour mixture, stir just until blended.
  4. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling half full. Add 1 teaspoon of your favourite jam to each; top with remaining batter.
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 mins.
Adapted from HHB's Mixed-Berry Jam Muffins.


Wholemeal cookies: I bought a 500 g pack of wholemeal flour for this (yes, I have all sorts of flour in my fridge now). Grainy and nutty texture, which is to my liking =).

Ingredients (makes about 30 bite-size cookies):
50g butter, softened at room temperature
40g caster sugar
1/2 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g plain flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
75g wholemeal flour

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
  2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl until the mixture turns pale and fluffy.
  3. Beat in the egg gradually. Mix well after each addition. Add in vanilla extract, mix well.
  4. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture, add the wholemeal flour. Fold in with a spatula. Mix and gather to form a soft dough.
  5. Pinch and roll dough into small balls and place on baking tray. Press down each ball lightly with the tines of a fork.
  6. Bake for about 15-20 mins until the cookies turn pale golden brown.
  7. Remove the cookies from the oven and leave on the baking tray for 2 ~ 3mins (to allow the cookies to firm up a little) before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from HHB's Wholemeal Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment