Saturday, June 5, 2010

Crazy over Yuja: Yujacha Chiffon Cake



The last time I tried a chiffon was two months ago and I've been itching to try another one ever since I read from HHB's blog that beating whites till soft peaks can probably yield better results. Initially, I wanted to use the unfinished bottles of jam to make a chiffon, but I succumbed to the temptation of buying a jar of Yujacha marmalade, I decided to try a Yujacha chiffon instead. I made some modifications for a 2-egg recipe to suit my 16 cm pan.


I can't remember when was the first time I tried Yujacha. I supposed it was at a Hongkong styled cafe somewhere. But I remembered I tried it again in Taipei, in that small cosy cafe up at Jiufen when it was raining heavily. The cold, wet weather, with a small jar of hot Yujacha, that memory will always stay with me. Just a couple of weeks ago, I drank another glass of it at a HK styled cafe and I made up my mind to buy a jar of Yujacha so that I can drink it as and when I like. It's not surprising that I love the sweet, tangy and citrusy taste as I've always love citrus fruits, be it orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, pomelo, you name it. And it's also not surprising that I used up one quarter of the jar in just one afternoon, making a glass of drink, a chiffon cake, and some jelly with it.


I beat the egg yolks much more vigorously this time round. I realised that the lower cholesterol egg yolks are much richer in colour.
This time round I beat the the whites until it was able to hold its shape. I tested it by flipping the bowl upside down. This was actually the soft peak stage, and it's much easier to blend with the egg yolk mixture without any stubborn lumps. But when I poured it into the mould, the batter was quite little. I wonder if it's because my eggs were pretty small?


This time round, I turned up the temperature of my oven to 190C as I suspect my oven temperature is much lower than the setting. I was anxiously monitoring the rising of the cake. The cake expanded by quite a bit but there weren't any cracks formed unlike the previous attempt. When I took out the cake, I got a rude shock: the surface was burnt.


As expected, the cake sank when it cooled. And I seriously need more practice in unmolding the cake. Part of the skin of the cake was left behind on the pan. LOL. This is not a pretty sight.


The cake is soft and cottony, but it's not tall enough. The yujacha smell is too subtle for my liking actually. But I would love to try this cake again.

Ingredients (makes a 16 cm cake):
A:
2 egg yolks
15g caster sugar
35g yuzu marmalade
25ml vegetable oil
35ml hot water
45g plain flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder (estimate)
B:
2 egg whites
35g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Dissolve yuzu syrup with the hot water. Leave to cool.
  2. Sieve flour, baking powder together, set aside.
  3. Separate egg yolks from whites and bring to room temperature.
  4. Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl, add in sugar, and with a manual whisk, whisk till the mixture becomes very sticky and turn pale.
  5. Drizzle in the oil, whisking at the same time till the mixture is well combined. Repeat the same with the Yuzu mixture. Sieve over the flour mixture and whisk until flour mixture is fully incorporated into the batter.
  6. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until mixture becomes frothy and foamy. Beat in the sugar in 3 separate additions on high speed until just before stiff peaks form. (I tested by flipping the bowl upside down. If the whites do not drop out, it's done.)
  7. Add the beaten egg white into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
  8. Pour batter into a 16cm (6 inch) tube pan (do not grease the pan). Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
  9. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degC for 30 ~ 35mins or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  10. Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Let cool completely before unmould. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and the center core. Release the cake and run the knife along the base of the pan to remove the cake.
Adapted from HHB's Yuja Cha Chiffon.


I can't resist the temptation to try more desserts with the marmalade. I made some jelly with gelatin, but it is taking an usually long time to solidify. Not sure if this is edible.

2 comments:

  1. can be eaten onez..like drinks lohz..or semi jelly..haha..the first yujacha i tried was 3 yrs back when we went taiwan..up in yang ming shan..some lok kok cafe =) from then onwards i really love yujacha..i even bought those instant mix onez from daiso..where u get this marmalade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...I think I also drank that at YMS. It was a bloody cold day as well. I bought my marmalade at Carrefour at $8.90. But I also saw it at Cold Storage and SolMart, the Korean supermarket. But the ones I saw there are larger bottles, at about $12. But no worries, will use up quite fast...haha

    ReplyDelete