Saturday, July 10, 2010

Berry Pastry Cake, Very Tasty Cake



I have wanted to try out this fruit pastry cake since a long time ago, after seeing so many beautiful pictures and rave reviews on this cake. I made 2/3 portion of the cake to fit into my 7 inch pan, and I reduced the sugar.



I've been thinking about what fruits to top the cake. I had initially wanted to copy the decoration on HHB's blog, with peaches, strawberries and blueberries, because I'm horrible with cake decorations. But I would have lots of leftover fruit in that case, so I decided to settle for just strawberries and blueberries as I'm not a big fan of peaches. I bought a punnet of strawberries and a punnet of blueberries yesterday, marking the first time I'm baking with blueberries. As for the cake decoration, I have lots of room for improvement.



The freshly baked cake didn't look too good. I thought the blueberries were an eyesore! The icing sugar did help a little though. I didn't wait for the cake to cool before I tried a piece. It was pretty good. Not oily and not too sweet, thanks to the tangy strawberries.



I will definitely make this again, perhaps with different fruits.

Ingredients (7 inch cake):
65g butter, soften at room temperature
100g caster sugar
20ml low fat yogurt (I used Bulla)
2 eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
2/3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (estimated)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
140g plain flour
2/3 teaspoon baking powder (estimated)
6 strawberries (washed and halved)
Half a punnet of blueberries, about 60 g (washed)

Method:
  1. Line base and sides of a 7" cake pan with parchment paper.
  2. With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and yogurt till light and fluffy.
  3. Dribble in the eggs gradually and beat till incorporated in the batter. (My batter curdled.)
  4. Add vanilla extract and zest. Beat to combine.
  5. Sieve over flour and baking powder and beat till smooth.
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
  7. Arrange fruits on top, don’t press the fruits down into the batter. Decorate the fruits as desired.
  8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180degC for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake. Tent the cake with aluminium foil if surface of cake is over-browned.
  9. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 5~10 mins. Unmold and transfer to wire rack to let cool completely. Dust the cake with some icing sugar if desired.
Adapted from HHB's Fruit Pastry Cake.

5 comments:

  1. i was fortunate to have a piece of it..haha..delivered from ur hse =) it was good! (maybe i haven been too picky so my compliments were not tt fabulous to be heard..haha)..from the top, the deco looks weird..but a slice of it was okay..maybe fill up the space with more blueberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have something against the blueberries. I guess because I never had a liking for dark coloured fruit (think grapes, blackcurrant, prunes, you get the idea). I wil try with other fruits next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wahaha..then u not a big fan of peach..wat else can u put?orange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. but how to put juicy orange on it? try? heez..u can try this sat!!!

    ReplyDelete