Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blueberry Season: Blueberry Yogurt Muffins



Earlier this year was the strawberry season, where punnets of beautiful Korean strawberries were sold cheaply in all supermarkets. But now, the strawberries have made way for blueberries and raspberries, fruits of the summer season.



I have half a punnet of blueberries left after yesterday's fruit pastry cake, so I decided to try making some classic blueberry muffins, which is alien to me as I always associate them with western culture. I can't say I'm a fan of blueberries, and I honestly find the burst blueberries an eyesore, with all the purplish juices oozing out. But these are still refreshing alternatives from the usual chocolate chip muffins.

Ingredients (makes 6 small muffins):
75 g cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
10 g quick cooking oats ( I used Quaker)
50g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 egg
55 g low-fat yogurt (I used Bulla)
30 ml vegetable oil (I used Canola oil)
60 g fresh blueberries

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C.
  2. Sift cake flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, salt and oats.
  3. Mix egg, yogurt and oil together.
  4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Add in blueberries.
  5. Mix with spatula until just combined.
  6. Spoon batter into paper cups.
  7. Bake for 20-25 mins. Until golden brown. Serve warm.
Adapted from HHB's Berry Oatmeal Muffins.

2 comments:

  1. well i think the bursting blueberries are tempting!!! i guess fruit muffins are better alternatives than choc ones..maybe less fattening and heaty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, blueberries are rich in antioxidants. so are strawberries and raspberries. And yes, feel less sinful to eat blueberry muffins than chocolate ones. haha.

    ReplyDelete