Sunday, July 18, 2010

Citrus Sunday: Lemon Yogurt Cake



I still have a partially-zested lemon lying in the fridge from last week's fruit pastry cake, thus I decided to bake a lemon yogurt cake since I have all the ingredients on hand. I changed HHB's orange yogurt cake to a lemon-flavoured one instead. I halved the recipe and decreased the sugar to 70g and used Meiji aloe vera yogurt since that was what I have in the fridge. Although the cake is low-fat, it is definitely not low-calorie.



To add some variety to the taste, I added chopped walnuts on top. Since I do not have a suitable pan to bake this, I used my new large souffle cups to bake them. I will be having it for breakfast tomorrow, so right now I can only pray that it tastes good.

Ingredients (makes 4 large cupcakes):
125g cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
35g butter, soften at room temperature
zest of 1/2 lemon
70g sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup low-fat yogurt (I used Meiji Aloe Vera)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 pieces chopped walnut

Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 degC.
  2. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a bowl, mix together yogurt, vanilla essence and lemon juice.
  4. With an electric mixer, beat butter and lemon zest for 1 min. Add in sugar and beat on high speed for about 3 mins.
  5. Add in eggs gradually, beat constantly for about 2 mins. (My batter curdled at this point.)
  6. On low speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture. On medium-high speed, beat in 1/2 of the yogurt mixture. On low speed, beat in half of the remaining flour mixture. On high speed, beat in the remaining yogurt mixture. On low speed, beat in the rest of the flour mixture.
  7. Spoon into paper cups and sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Adapted from HHB's Low-Fat Orange Yogurt Cake.



I bought a pack of konnyaku jelly powder some time back but haven't got down to making my long-awaited yujacha jelly. This marks my third try in making these. I used gelatin powder in my first two tries and they failed: the jelly was too soft. This time round, I'm very sure the jelly will not be too soft. My only worry is that it will be too hard instead.

Update: The jelly was indeed too hard and not sweet enough. I modified my recipe and made another batch 2 days later and it was much better.

Ingredients (makes 3 trays of 8 jelly each):
15 g Konnyaku powder (I used Red Man)
100g caster sugar
900 ml water
2 heaping tablespoons Yujacha marmalade

Method:
  1. Mix Konnyaku powder and caster sugar together.
  2. Place water in a pot and heat. Gradually add the sugar mixture and stir while the water is hot, but not boiling.
  3. Turn off the heat when the mixture is boiling.
  4. Keep stirring the mixture for a further 5 mins to get rid of bubbles.
  5. Stir in the Yujacha marmalade.
  6. Let a mixture cool for a few minutes before spooning into the molds.
  7. Let the jelly cool before putting into the fridge. Serve cold.

2 comments:

  1. I quite like the cake. Although it's quite dense, it's soft and not oily, unlike butter cakes. As for the jelly, it's too hard and not sweet enough. Shall add more water and some sugar next time.

    ReplyDelete