Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fruity Treats: Strawberry Tarts



I only decided to make these tarts just this morning. I was browsing through the web last night and the image of a berry fruit tart kept floating in my mind. I bought a punnet of strawberries 2 days ago and I thought it's just right to make a strawberry tart.



I had all the ingredients on hand, including leftover milk from yesterday's lunch (I cooked oatmeal porridge with 1/4 cup of milk), wholemeal flour and strawberries. As usual, I halved the recipe and I made small tarts instead. But I realise how difficult it was to work with such a small quantity of ingredients.



As usual, I'm a wreck with the stove. My custard wasn't cooked properly. It was lumpy and a bit too runny. I can only blame myself for not following the instructions closely. Instead of using egg yolks as indicated in the recipe, I used the leftover egg from the tart shells, because 1) I did not want to waste the leftover egg, 2) I did not have enough eggs in the fridge. But I'm not entirely sure that was the main reason why my custard did not turn out very well.



Nevertheless, I completed the tarts and I thought they look rather good! But I can't say the same for the taste as I haven't tried it. Luckily, I only made 2, as I suppose I have to eat all of it on my own.

Ingredients (makes 3 small tart shells):
20 g unsalted butter , soften at room temperature
15 g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp lightly beaten egg
10 g wholemeal flour
40 g plain flour

Method:
  1. Sieve flour and set aside.
  2. With a spoon, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
  3. Add in the egg gradually, stirring the batter till well mixed each time the egg is added.
  4. With a spatula, fold in the wholemeal flour.
  5. Sieve over the flour in 2 to 3 additions into the batter. Fold the mixture gently with the spatula. Gather and form the pastry into a round ball.
  6. Divide the dough into 3. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it into a disc.
  7. Place the disc over the prepared tart pan. Mould the pastry into the tart pan, smoothing the edges and the rim carefully. If the pastry is too soft to handle, chill it in the fridge for 10~15 mins before rolling.
  8. Chill the pastry in the fridge for 20mins. (This is to prevent the pastry from shrinking upon baking.)
  9. Use a fork to poke holes on the pastry. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 10 ~12mins until the edges are slightly browned. Let cool completely.
Adpated from HHB's Wholemeal Banana Tart.




I was working from home yesterday and I couldn't resist the temptation to make another 2 batches of Konnyaku jelly. I experimented with 2 more flavours: Mango with Nata de Coco and Red Tea Longan. I wanted the replicate the Mango pudding that my sister and I bought from Taipei. We both would lug packets of jelly home everytime we make a trip to Taipei, but the jelly never lasts our family for anything more than 2 weeks.

The mango jelly I made is tasty although it is nowhere near the ones we bought from Taipei. The red tea one is so-so. I personally thought the red tea smell is too subtle, but my mum likes it.

Ingredients (Mango Nata de Coco Jelly, makes 3 trays of 8 jelly each):
15 g Konnyaku jelly powder (1 pack Red Man brand)
950 ml mango juice (I used Fruit Tree Tropical Mango Juice)
1 pack Nata de Coco

Method:
  1. Distribute Nata de Coco into jelly moulds.
  2. Heat mango juice in a pot.
  3. Add Konnyaku powder very slowly while stirring. (I used my fingers to sprinkle the powder in to minimize formation of lumps, then I strained the mixture to remove the lumps.)
  4. Turn off the heat when the mixture boils. Stir for another 5 mins to get rid of bubbles.
  5. Let mixture cool for a few minutes before spooning into moulds.
  6. Let the jelly cool before putting into the fridge.

Ingredients
(Red Tea Longan Jelly, makes 3 trays of 8 jelly each):
15 g Konnyaku jelly powder (1 pack Red Man brand)
200 g caster sugar
4 tea bags (use more for stringer taste of tea)
900 ml water
1 can longan, drained of syrup

Method:
  1. Mix Konnyaku powder and sugar together.
  2. Heat water in a pot till boiling. Add tea bags in and let it sit for 10 mins.
  3. Distribute longan into jelly moulds.
  4. Remove tea bags from water and on the heat again. Add Konnyaku powder and sugar mixture gradually while stirring.
  5. Turn off the heat when the mixture is boiling. Stir for another 5 mins to get rid of bubbles.
  6. Let mixture cool for a few minutes before spooning into moulds.
  7. Let the jelly cool before putting into the fridge.



And speaking of Taipei, Allswell has a new flavoured drink: White Bitter Gourd Juice with Honey. I heard from my labmate about this and went to get it immediately. I first tried this in Taipei's night market and I like it, so I was really glad that I can finally find this in Singapore. Although it's taste is quite subtle as compared to those in Taipei, it's good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. oh! i wan to buy tt white bitter gourd juice! last trip din go and buy it hor..haha..can find this quite easily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I got it from NTUC. I think any supermarket should carry it.

    ReplyDelete