Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sunny Oranges: Orange Tarts



I was really keen to make another batch of custard tarts after last week's not-so-successful custard. I had been thinking of which fruit to use, and finally I settled on oranges as it's one of my favourite fruit.



I bought 2 new tart pans with scalloped edges. This time round, I used cake flour instead of plain flour and I rolled the dough using a rolling pin instead of pressing it into the pan directly. The dough was thinner this time round and I hope the crust will not be as hard as last week's.



Since I ran out of milk, I cooked the custard with orange juice, as indicated in a recipe book. The best part about this: it cuts calories from not using milk and butter! I used only half of the leftover egg, as I realised I may have added too much egg last week, which caused it to be lumpy. With less egg and more whisking, my custard was lump-free!



Next up was the challenging part: supreme the oranges. I am terrible with the knife because I have a phobia ever since I sliced my finger while cutting an apple 10 years ago. But surprising, supreming the oranges was quite fun! Although I wasted quite a bit of the orange flesh in my first attempt. The oranges were so juicy, I had to dry them with paper towel before topping it onto the tart. Even so, the icing sugar dissolved straight away when dusted.

I couldn't wait to try it as I was hungry without breakfast this morning. Without chilling in the fridge, the custard was quite runny. But the crust was crispy, yet not hard and I definitely liked this better than last week's.

Ingredients (makes 4 small tart shells):
Tart shells:
20 g unsalted butter , soften at room temperature
15 g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp lightly beaten egg
10 g wholemeal flour
40 g cake flour

Filling:
100 ml orange juice (pulp removed by straining)
15 g caster sugar
1/2 egg
1 tbsp + 1 tsp cake flour, sifted
2 oranges, supremed (Video on how to supreme an orange)

Method:

Tart shells:
  1. Sieve flour and set aside.
  2. With a spoon, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
  3. Add in the egg gradually, stirring the batter till well mixed each time the egg is added.
  4. With a spatula, fold in the wholemeal flour.
  5. Sieve over the flour in 2 to 3 additions into the batter. Fold the mixture gently with the spatula. Gather and form the pastry into a round ball.
  6. Divide dough into 4. Roll dough into disc bigger than tart pan.
  7. Place the disc over the prepared tart pan. Mould the pastry into the tart pan, smoothing the edges and the rim carefully. If the pastry is too soft to handle, chill it in the fridge for 10~15 mins before rolling.
  8. Chill the pastry in the fridge for 20mins. (This is to prevent the pastry from shrinking upon baking.)
  9. Use a fork to poke holes on the pastry. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 10 ~12mins until the edges are slightly browned. Let cool completely.
Filling:
  1. Whisk egg with sugar thoroughly. Add in flour and whisk thoroughly.
  2. Heat orange juice in a pot until boiling.
  3. Pour the hot orange juice gradually into egg mixture while whisking.
  4. Strain the mixture back into the pot.
  5. On medium heat, whisk the mixture quickly until the mixture becomes thick.
  6. Pour the cream into a clean bowl and place cling wrap on the cream to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
  7. Chill in the fridge.
To assemble:
  1. Spoon custard into cooled tart shells and smooth top with spoon.
  2. Dry the orange slices slightly with paper towels and place on top of the custard.
  3. Chill in fridge.
Adpated from HHB's Wholemeal Banana Tart (tart shells) and 低热量点心DIY, by 大越鄉子 (custard filling).



And the leftover egg went into making these black sesame biscuits. I didn't want to bake butter cookies as they are high in butter content, so I decided to make these instead.

Ingredients:
75 g cake flour
15 g butter, softened at room temperature.
1/2 egg
10 ml milk
10 g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
10 g black sesame seeds, toasted

Method:
  1. Sift cake flour,baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and softened butter. Rub butter into dry ingredients with fingers until it resembles cornmeal.
  2. Add in egg and milk. (Milk can be added slowly until the right consistency is reached. You may add less than stated in the recipe if the dough is too wet or you may add more if dough is too dry.)
  3. Gather into a dough with hands. Knead into a smooth dough, but do not overknead.
  4. Add in sesame seeds and knead for 1 min to evely distribute the seeds.
  5. Cover in cling wrap and leave for 30 mins.
  6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 2 mm thickness. (2 mm is ideal for the right crispiness. Try not to make thicker biscuits.)
  7. Trim into a large rectangle. Cut into 3.5 cm squares.
  8. Leaving small gaps between each dough, bake for 15 mins at 180 deg C until golden brown.
Recipe adapted and translated from JunZhi's 黑芝麻咸香饼干.

No comments:

Post a Comment