Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cookies Galore: Piped Butter Cookies



I couldn't make up my mind whether to make checkered cookies or piped butter cookies. I only have 2 aims in deciding this week's bakes: 1) I need to use as much green tea powder as possible, 2) It must be something I can give to my friends during our annual class gathering. Checkered cookies was on my mind the whole week until yesterday, when I decided on butter cookies, because I wanted to try piping.



I made half batches in each flavour: vanilla, green tea and chocolate. Took me a good 5 hours to complete because my oven is too small! I sure had a lot of fun piping these "roses". The first batch of vanilla looks terrible because it was my first try in piping these. But subsequently it got better, but I still need more practise and more improvement.



And yes, to prevent myself from gaining anymore weight from my bakes, I decided to force people to help me eat, so I packed them into paper origami boxes I made and gave them away to some of my friends as gifts. I hope they don't mind eating them!

Ingredients (makes 30 small cookies):
100 g cake flour
65 g butter, softened at room temperature
15 g caster sugar
35 g icing sugar
1/2 egg
*1/8 tsp vanilla extract (for vanilla flavoured)
*replace 5 g of flour with 5 g green tea for green tea flavoured)
*replace 10 g of flour with 10 g cocoa powder (for chocolate flavour)

Method:
  1. Mix butter with caster sugar and icing sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in egg in thirds, beating thoroughing after each addition.
  3. Add vanilla extract (if using) and beat thoroughly.
  4. Sift in cake flour (and green tea powder/ cocoa powder if using) and fold with a rubber spatula.
  5. Pipe into desired shapes. (I chilled the dough in the fridge for 15 mins after piping.)
  6. Bake at 190 deg C for 10 mins until golden brown. (I baked mine at 180 deg C for 15 mins.)
  7. Store in air-tight containers after cooling.
Recipe adapted and translated from Junzhi's 多种口味曲奇.




I had half an egg left and I thought I will just try out these biscuit sticks. But it was a disaster. The recipe stated 25 mins baking time but it got burnt after 15 mins. I threw the whole batch away.

3 comments:

  1. i dun mind! my mum loves it! she was asking why my cookies not like urs..then i replied with a bu shuang tone: coz it's different kind of cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yeah...and actually I prefer the normal drop cookies. I made these because I thought they look nice and it's fun to pipe the rosettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I know which piping tip u used? The cookies look beautiful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete