Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Long-Awaited Durian Puffs



I've wanted to make durian puffs since months ago, but I haven't got the time to make them as baking the shells is time-consuming and I will need a whole afternoon. Since I'm not having any outing this weekend, I get to make these long-awaited durian puffs! We haven't had durians in a long time, so my grandma bought 3 D24 durians: for me to make puffs, and for us to eat.



I used back the same recipe which I had much success with. But due to the small size of the eggs I have, I weighed out the eggs, assuming each large egg is 50 g. I used chopsticks to stir the egg in, which turns out to be much better than using the electric whisk or spatula. There is less wastage of batter and I have better control on the stirring.



I deseeded about 11 durian seeds, which yielded me about 350 g of flesh. Learning from previous attempt, I decided to use the whole 200 ml carton of whipping cream to make the filling more moist. Whipping the cream till stiff by hand doesn't seem too tough this time round. Either I'm getting used to hand-whipping, or my arms became stronger with the gym sessions.



Apparently, I have made too much filling. Even though I filled each puff with plenty of filling, there was still leftover, so in the end, I made another half-batch of choux pastry. But now I have 5 empty shells sitting in a container, because the leftover filling was not enough for all the shells.



To use up the leftover hotdog in my freezer and leftover egg from the choux pastry, I decided to make these savoury scones. The recipe from HHB is actually for bacon scones, but I just replaced bacon with hotdog. I actually quite like this. Like what my sister says: "You can never go wrong with hotdog.".

Ingredients (makes 4):
125 g cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
25g cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 egg (1 1/2 tbsp) plus enough fresh milk to make up 70ml
3 hotdog chopped into small chunks
*egg wash (from leftover beaten egg)

Method:
  1. Lightly beat the egg and add enough fresh milk to make up 140ml of liquid. Leave to chill in fridge.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add in salt and sugar and whisk the dry ingredients together. Add in cold butter pieces. Using a dough scraper, cut the butter into the flour until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
  3. Chill the mixture for about 15 mins in the fridge.
  4. Mix in the chopped hotdog. Add the egg & milk mixture all at once and stir with a fork until just combined. The mixture will be sticky, moist and lumpy. Gather up the mixture and give it a few light kneading (not more than 10 seconds) so that it comes together to form a dough. Do not over work the dough.
  5. Place dough in a plastic bag or cover it with cling wrap. Keep dough in fridge for about 30mins.
  6. Remove dough from fridge and set it in the centre of a baking tray (lined with parchment paper). Pat out into a round disc about 1 inch thickness. Cut the dough into 4 wedge-shaped pieces, press down firmly without twisting or sawing.
  7. Move the wedges slightly apart leaving just a small gap in between so that the sides are almost touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
  8. Bake at preheated oven at 200degC for about 13 - 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the scones comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from HHB's Bacon Rosemary Scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment