Saturday, August 14, 2010

Madeleine Madness



The first time I ate madeleines was when my mum bought them from Delifrance for breakfast. I quite like them as they taste nicer than the normal kueh bolu. I never knew that it is a classic french cake. Even though I came across many recipes for madeleines, I've never thought of making them as they need specific shell shaped molds. But, after seeing MY's pictures of her madeleines, I decided to make them myself, especially after she told me she got her pan from Daiso for $2. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find the metal pan at the biggest Daiso here, at IMM building. But with my mind set n making madeleines, I bought silicon molds instead.



These silicon molds are more expensive as there are only 2 shells in each mold, as compared to 5 in the metal pan. Furthermore, I am not very comfortable with using silicon baking equipment. This is my first attempt with these and my verdict is: give me a metal pan anytime. These silicon moulds are not rigid enough. They bend with the weight of the batter, causing the batter to overflow the shells, and causing my madeleines to develop wings. I have to fold pieces of aluminium foil and place them under the corners of the mold for extra support.



While in the oven, I was anxiously looking at it to see if the distinct madeleine humps appeared. They did appear, although not as tall as I hoped it would be. Nevertheless, I was quite happy as they signified my success in my first attempt.



I followed the recipe given in a chinese blog. Strangely, this recipe does not require the beating of eggs to ribbon stage, which most recipes require. I made both vanilla and chocolate flavoured ones. I personally prefer the vanilla, surprisingly. This is largely due to the lemon zest, which made it very refreshing. Texture wise, it is light and airy, and the sides are crispy.

Ingredients (makes 10 vanilla madeleines):
50 g cake flour
50 g caster sugar
50 g butter, melted
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Dash of vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Mix lemon zest with sugar and leave for 1 hour.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder together.
  3. Stir egg with sugar and lemon zest with a manual whisk. Do not beat the mixture.
  4. Add in vanilla and sift in flour mixture. Stir until a thick mixture forms.
  5. Add in melted butter and stir till smooth.
  6. Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
  7. Pipe or spoon mixture into mold till 90% full.
  8. Bake at 190 deg C for 13-15 mins.
  9. Cool on a wire rack.
Ingredients (makes 10 chocolate madeleines):
40 g cake flour
8 g cocoa powder
35 g caster sugar
8 g honey
45 g butter, melted
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
Dash of vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
  2. Stir egg with sugar with a manual whisk. Do not beat the mixture.
  3. Add in honey and mix well.
  4. Add in vanilla and sift in flour mixture. Stir until a thick mixture forms.
  5. Add in melted butter and stir till smooth.
  6. Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
  7. Pipe or spoon mixture into mold till 90% full.
  8. Bake at 190 deg C for 13-15 mins.
  9. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted and translated from Junzhi's 玛德琳蛋糕.




While waiting for the madeleine batter to chill in the fridge, I made these sesame crackers again. This is the third time I am making these and this time round I made a full batch with one egg. I bought come cookie cutters 2 days ago and decided to try them out.



The cookie cutters are very small, yielding bite size biscuits. The biscuits are still good nonetheless.

4 comments:

  1. i love biscuits!black sesame!!!slurps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I love black sesame. But looks like I'm the only one in my family who like these crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. though i'm not one of your family (but me belong to our average family), I do like these kind of crackers! i can be ur supportive fan! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent dear....
    congrats! keep up the good work/this is a great presentation.

    Bakery Equipment

    ReplyDelete