Friday, November 5, 2010

Going Green: Matcha Sablé Cookies



And I'm back, after 12 days in South Korea, followed by a weekend fishing at a kelong in Batam. After a 3-week hiatus from the kitchen, I realized I have lost touch with baking and cooking, so I decided to start from something simple: cookies.

It's scary how time flies. It's been almost one year since I went to Japan with my friends, which means that my matcha powder will be expiring soon! There is no better time than this to bake a batch of matcha sablé cookies.


The procedure is relatively simple, almost foolproof, except that I was too impatient with chilling the dough. The cookie dough went out of shape while slicing, so I had to pop it back into the fridge again. Other than that, everything went smoothly, considering that I was multi-tasking, trying to steam a batch of chai tow kuay at the same time.


This recipe is a sure-keep. The cookies are refreshing and fragrant. I simply love these! But can't have too much as the fat content is rather high.

Ingredients (makes 20)
120 g plain flour
2 tsp green tea powder
75 g butter, softened at room temperature
50 g icing sugar
Small pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
Granulated sugar (I used raw sugar)
A little egg white (optional)
A little green tea leaves (optional)

Method:
  1. Sift flour and green tea powder together. Set aside.
  2. Cream butter, icing sugar and salt together until creamy.
  3. Add in egg yolk and mix well.
  4. Sift in flour and green tea powder and fold with spatula.
  5. Over dough with cling wrap and chill in fridge for 15 mins.
  6. Place dough on parchment paper and shape in to 3.5 cm log. Wrap log with parchment paper and chill in fridge until firm.
  7. Preheat oven to 150 deg C. Slice log into 7 mm thickness. Dip edges in granulated sugar.
  8. Place dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
  9. If desired, brush a little egg white over the cookies and sprinkle with green tea leaves.
  10. Bake for about 25 mins. Remove and leave to cool on wire rack.
  11. Store in air-tight container for up to 10 days.
Recipe adapted from e's joie's Matcha Sablé Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment