Saturday, December 25, 2010

And it's Christmas: Checkerboard Cookies



I have never celebrated Christmas. To me, it's a time where I have to buy useless gifts, receive useless gifts and fall victim to exorbitant dinners. Still, many of my friends are excited over Christmas because it's the season for celebrating romance, friendship and kinship.



This year, I had a fantastic Christmas present: a new oven. My mum bought this yesterday because she decided that our old one is too lousy, and after constant urging from me, we finally carried one home on Christmas eve.



Every oven is different. It took me many months to get to know my old oven and now, I have to start from scratch in getting to know this new one. There are many functions and I have no idea which is the best for which. The first thing I baked with it is this Hokkaido Chiffon Cake (again!!). The result is not good: the cake is a little soggy and did not rise very well. Of course, it could be because I don't have good skills, but I partly suspect I have used the wrong function on the oven.



I have bookmarked this checkerboard cookie recipe for a few months but never got around to baking it because I know it will be extremely tedious. And sure enough, it took me a whole afternoon to make these. The dough is too soft and sticky, it is extremely difficult and time-consuming to shape them.



As a result, the patterns are not very even. In the end, I gave up on wrapping the strips with a thin layer of dough, which explains those bare ones. I will seriously think twice about baking these again.

I plan to give some of these away as they are really way too much for me to consume. Even though Christmas is almost over, this can still be considered as Christmas goodies. Merry Christmas everyone!

P.S. Since the deadline for the "Aspiring Bakers #2: Christmas! (Dec 2010)" event hosted by Passionate About Baking has been extended, I will be participating with this entry!

Ingredients:

Vanilla dough:
150 g cake flour
80 g butter, softened at room temperature
60 g icing sugar
25 g egg (about 1/2 an egg)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate dough:
130 g cake flour
20 g cocoa powder
80 g butter, softened at room temperature
60 g icing sugar
25 g egg (about 1/2 an egg)

Method:
  1. Slowly whisk butter and icing sugar till even. Do not beat the mixture.
  2. Add egg in 2 additions and mix well after each addition.
  3. Mix in vanilla extract.
  4. Sift in flour and mix with spatula until even. The dough will be soft and sticky. Place dough in fridge for at least 30 minutes. to firm up.
  5. Repeat above steps for chocolate dough, replacing flour in step 4 with flour and cocoa powder.
  6. When the dough is sufficiently firm, remove around 1/4 of vanilla dough and 1/4 chocolate dough for wrapping. Place in fridge to prevent softening.
  7. Roll the remaining 3/4 vanilla dough and 3/4 chocolate dough into 1 cm thick rectangles. Place vanilla dough on top of chocolate dough. You may brush some egg on the chocolate dough before stacking so that the dough will stick together.
  8. Place the stacked dough in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to harden.
  9. Remove the hardened stacked dough and slice into 1 cm thickness strips. Stack 2 strips together so that they form checkerboard pattern. You may also brush egg wash on the strips to help them stick better.
  10. Roll the reserved 1/4 dough into 0.2 cm thickness. You may want to do so between plastic sheets if the dough is too soft and sticky. Wrap the checkerboard strips carefully with the dough and remove excess dough. You can omit this step if you are only making the bare cookies.
  11. Freeze checkerboard dough strips for at least 30 minutes.
  12. Slice the hardened dough strips into 0.5 cm thickness cookie dough.
  13. Bake at 190 deg C for 12 minutes.
  14. Let cool completely before storing.
Adapted from Junzhi's 双色小棋格饼干.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining this event! Do continue to support! Wishing you a great year in 2011. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gave me great quinces, and the recipe that I am not happy, I am very grabs! thank you in advance
    I board a good recipe already dealt a site like this
    Recette cookies
    gateau au yaourt
    Recette crepe
    couscous marocain
    modele cuisine
    Recette couscous

    ReplyDelete