Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fairy Back from Leave?: Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes



After last week's not-so-successful attempt, in addition to my sister's encouragement (surprise surprise), I decided to give the Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes another go.



This time round, I used my hands to separate the egg yolks and whites instead of using the shells. I managed to do it sucessfully for 2 out of 3 eggs. The egg whites were more "normal" this time round. It managed to beat to a soft peak stage and is easy to fold into the egg yolk mixture.



I bought the square baking cups specially for these cakes. Firstly, I think the square cups are really cute. Secondly, I was hoping that using these will increase my chances of success since bakeries use these to bake their chiffon cupcakes as well. And true enough, the cakes didn't collapse! Though I'm not sure if it's due to the cups or because I got the egg whites right.



The custard was better this time round because I made a one-egg batch instead of half an egg. With a larger amount, it's easier to control the cooking although there are still some lumps. Need to improve on it. Since the cakes did not collapse, that means there is plenty of room for the custard, and I definitely did not stinge on it. I piped each cake with so much custard, I actually ran out of it even though I made a one-egg batch. Apparently, my sister loves this cake. She ate 2 at a go. Wow.

Ingredients (makes 6):
Chiffon cupcakes:
2 eggs, separated
17 g cake flour
15 g caster sugar (for yolk mixture)
25 g caster sugar (for egg white mixture)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp milk

Method:
  1. Separate egg yolks and whites.
  2. Add 15 g caster sugar to egg yolks and beat. Add in oil and milk and mix. Sift in flour and mix till even.
  3. Beat egg whites till frothy. Add in 25 g caster sugar in thirds until soft peak stage.
  4. Fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture in thirds until even.
  5. Pour into baking cups until 60% full.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool before piping in custard.
Adapted from Junzhi's 北海道戚风蛋糕

Custard:
250 ml milk
1 egg
30 g sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Add sugar to egg and beat until sugar dissolves.
  2. Sift in plain flour and corn flour and mix until smooth.
  3. Heat milk in a pot until bubbles appear at the edge of the pot.
  4. Pour in hot milk to egg mixture slowly, whisking vigorously.
  5. Strain mixture back into pot.
  6. Cook the mixture over medium flame while whisking vigourously to prevent lumps from forming.
  7. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and the mixture is bubbling.
  8. Stir in vanilla extract.
  9. Strain into a bowl and use cling wrap to cover the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
  10. Let cool before chilling in the refrigerator.




Lastly, my huat kueh finally decided to smile. My mum requested for me to make these to that we can use it for prayers...but I'm not sure if this is really up-to-standard. I suggest she get store-bought ones.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this looks great! Do you remember where you got the square baking cups? I've been looking all over for those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hihi! I love your blog, do you mind me using your pics of the chiffon cupcakes and recipe for my shop? I will link your blog in my shop too! thanks!
    Here is my shop
    http://www.facebook.com/TheBakingWardrobe

    ReplyDelete