Saturday, January 22, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #3: Sugee Cookies



My family and I have never liked eating Chinese New Year goodies, although I do favour sugee cookies, peanut cookies, just a bit love letters and bak kua. Every year we will tell relatives and friends not to get us pineapple tarts and other goodies to save us the agony (and calories) of having to finish everything. This year, to my mum's dismay, we have a tub of peanut cookies and sugee cookies, courtesy of me. If not for the leftover ground peanut and ghee, I wouldn't have thought of baking CNY cookies and crash my diet plans by having to eat all of it myself =P.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy these cookies: not by eating them, but by baking them!



I bought some vanilla pods a few days back with the intention of using it for pastry cream, but when I saw Jess from j3ss kitch3n using vanilla beans for her sugee cookies, I thought I will give it a shot. But somehow the smell of ghee overpowered the vanilla, or perhaps I should have added in more beans. Nevertheless, the cookies are better than my last attempt because I did not over-bake them this time round.
With this, finally I have finished up the leftover ghee and my mum should be very happy know that the green can is no longer lying around in the kitchen =PPP.

Although this cookie is nothing special as compared to the great varieties of cookies that other bloggers have whipped up, I will still join in the fun and send it in to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favourite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011), hosted by j3ss kitch3n.

Ingredients:
165 g QBB ghee
Vanilla beans from 1/2 vanilla pod (or 1 pod for more intense fragrance)
100 g icing sugar
330 g flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Method:
  1. Scrape out vanilla beans from vanilla pod and add to ghee. Melt and cool ghee.
  2. In another mixing bowl, sift flour, icing sugar, baking soda and salt together.
  3. Pour in ghee mixture and mix to form a dough.
  4. Roll dough into small balls (about 1 tsp of dough) and place on a lined baking sheet.
  5. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 15 mins.
  6. The cookies should not brown.
Recipe adapted from QBB website with some modifications.

5 comments:

  1. thanks HF your sugee looks beautiful! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great cookies..gong xi fatt chai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by, Olivia. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please tell me what is "QBB ghee" & where can i buy, can i subtitude.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete