Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chiffon in a Cup



Yes, it's chiffon cake again this week. But it's a chiffon cupcake instead, none other than the Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes. I had wanted to try out other new recipes but my sister told me she wants to eat these. Well, it's not everyday that she wants to eat things that I cook, so of course I'm more than happy to bake these.



Although this is the fourth time I'm baking these, I yield different results each time. The first time was a total failure because the egg yolks broke while I was separating them. The second time was a success, with nicely browned cakes. The third time was also a failure because it was the first time I used my new oven and I didn't know how to control it.

I was contemplating whether or not to add cream of tartar to my egg whites as I find it easier to whip the whites with it. In the end, I took the risk of not adding any. Well, the same old problem of egg white lumps in the batter appeared. With my very limited baking experience, my guess is that the cream of tartar really makes a lot of difference. Another problem is that as the cakes were rising, some of them had cracked surfaces. I didn't have this problem in my last successful attempt. Could it be because I whipped the egg whites to a stiffer stage this time round? But actually it doesn't really matter since the cakes will shrink and result in a wrinkly surface anyway.



I used half a vanilla pod for the pastry cream. Honestly, I can't really taste the vanilla. It's either I've added in too little or I'm already immune to vanilla.



The cakes sure don't look pretty, but I do like the texture and the taste of them.



The original recipe requires the mixing of fresh whipped cream to the pastry cream. But I didn't want to use just half a carton of cream for this and have no idea what to do with the remaining cream. And anyway, I'm happy with using just pastry cream for the filling.

Ingredients (makes 9):
Chiffon cupcakes:
3 eggs, separated
26 g cake flour
22 g caster sugar (for yolk mixture)
37 g caster sugar (for egg white mixture)
22.5 ml vegetable oil
22.5 ml milk

Method:
  1. Separate egg yolks and whites.
  2. Add 22 g caster sugar to egg yolks and beat. Add in oil and milk and mix. Sift in flour and mix till even.
  3. Beat egg whites till frothy. Add in 37 g caster sugar in thirds until soft peak stage.
  4. Fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture in thirds until even.
  5. Pour into baking cups until 60% full.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool before piping in pastry cream and decorate with icing sugar.
Adapted from Junzhi's 北海道戚风蛋糕

Custard:
250 ml milk
1 egg
30 g sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp corn flour
1/2 vanilla pod

Method:
  1. Add sugar to egg and beat until sugar dissolves.
  2. Sift in plain flour and corn flour and mix until smooth.
  3. Scrape out vanilla seeds and mix in with the milk in a pot.
  4. Heat the milk, together with the vanilla pod and seeds, until bubbles appear at the edge of the pot.
  5. Remove the vanilla pod. Pour in hot milk to egg mixture slowly, whisking vigorously.
  6. Strain mixture back into pot.
  7. Cook the mixture over medium flame while whisking vigourously to prevent lumps from forming.
  8. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and the mixture is bubbling.
  9. Strain into a bowl and use cling wrap to cover the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
  10. Let cool before chilling in the refrigerator.

8 comments:

  1. these look very good to me! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess,
    I like both baking and eating them =D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chiffon cup cakes are so perfect. Your blog is fantastic! So glad that I've found your website. Happy to follow your blog and to hear more from you in the future :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoe,
    Thanks for dropping by! Wishing you and your family a Happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm going to try this =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Don't forget to post pictures on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking chiffon! I'm wondering where did you get the boxes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. piranhapattie@sbcglobal.netApril 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM

    these look fantastic.. i will try them for my dad's birthday! will let you know if they turn out (lol) have not baked in years like this. (lol)Where did you get the little box's?

    ReplyDelete