Saturday, January 22, 2011

Coffee Addict, Chiffon Addict



I'm still sore about last week's less-than-satisfactory chiffon cake. I decided to try another one this week, but with a different flavour, different recipe. Since I'm fast becoming a coffee addict these days, nothing could be better than baking a coffee chiffon cake. I'm so glad to see SSB's coffee chiffon recipe. She also uses a 16 cm chiffon tin, so her recipes are perfect for me.



To eliminate the possibility of my oven being the culprit for my failed chiffon cake, I bought an oven thermometer to make sure the temperature is correct. I should have done this long ago. The temperature can fluctuate quite a lot, and I practically stood in front of the oven the whole baking time to monitor the temperature and try to correct it by turning the temperature knob.



This time round, I beat the egg whites to almost stiff. It's definitely stiffer than last week's but the peak still have a droop. Jess advised me to beat to stiff, but I'm not confident of being able to fold in the egg whites without lumps. She uses a whisk to incorporate the whites, but I don't have the courage to do so as I'm pretty sure I will deflate the whites with my lousy skills.



The final result? Better than all my other chiffon cakes so far. At least no dense layer at the bottom. It could be because of the more accurate temperature? Or perhaps it's the egg whites? That will need more experiments to confirm. My only complaint is the presence of large holes in the cake. I did bang the tin on the tabletop a few times before baking it. Perhaps it's the presence of egg white lumps. Anyway, I would love to do more experiments with chiffon cakes, but in the meantime, I need to find ways to get people to eat this cake.

Ingredients:

3 small egg yolks (I used small eggs, about 40 g without shell)
20g caster sugar
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
20ml milk
20ml canola oil
40g cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

3 small egg whites ((I used small eggs, about 40 g without shell)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
40 g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar. Stir instant coffee powder with milk until the coffee powder dissolves.
  2. Add the coffee mixture and oil into the egg yolk batter and whisk.
  3. Sift in flour and mix well.
  4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until just before stiff peaks form.
  5. Fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter in 3 additions.
  6. Pour batter into 6-inch chiffon tin and bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 30 mins.
  7. Remove from oven and invert cake immediately until it is completely cool.
Recipe from Small Small Baker's Coffee Chiffon Cake.


2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite recipe because my chiffon cakes often fail and this is the one that gives me a successful bake and boost my confidence. Yours look perfect! Hey, I just bought the same oven thermometer. Hopefully my bakes will turn out better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SSB,
    I saw your very nice pictures of your coffee chiffon and decided to give it a go. This sure did not disappoint! Yeah, it gave me some confidence to bake more chiffon cakes after failing several times =). Hope the oven thermometer will be useful to you too. Looking forward to seeing more of your bakes!

    ReplyDelete