Sunday, January 9, 2011

Finishing the Unfinished: Peanut Cookies



When my friends came over for the baking session last week, one of our agenda was to bake peanut cookies. To save me the trouble of getting a dressing-down from my mum for making a mess of the kitchen, I decided to buy pre-packed ground peanuts instead of roasting and grinding them myself. Since I was at NTUC, I decided to check if ground peanuts was available. I must have been in a hurry that day, because I did not realize that the ground peanuts were mixed with sugar. I only realized it when I took them out to bake the cookies.

Of course, it's not the end of the world. I just have to use a lot of "agaration (estimation)" in deciding the amount of flour and sugar to be mixed with the peanuts since I have no idea what the ratio of sugar to peanuts is.



Mixing the dry ingredients with oil was not difficult except that I'm quite appalled by the large amount of oil used. The recipe states that the dough needs to be smooth and the sugar needs to dissolve, but gave up after kneading for 5 minutes even though the sugar did not dissolve.



The texture of the cookie was not what I expected: it was crumbly and melt-in-the-mouth. A pleasant surprise, I would say, as I prefer such cookies to the crunchy type. The fragrance of the peanuts only became prominent the next day, but I would have preferred it to be even stronger. Perhaps this is the reason why recipes tend to encourage bakers to roast and grind their own peanuts.

I had intended to use this recipe, but due to my oversight with the peanuts, here's what I did instead:

Ingredients:
400 g prepacked sweetened ground peanuts (Camel brand)
200 g plain flour
50 g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
240 ml canola oil (add slowly, use enough to bind mixture)
handful of halved peanuts
Egg for glazing (I omitted)

Method:
  1. Mix ground peanuts, flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add oil slowly and knead until the mixture comes together in a dough. Test by pinching and rolling a teaspoon of dough into a ball. If it does not crumble, it's done.
  3. Knead the dough until sugar dissolves (mine did not dissolve).
  4. Roll dough into balls of about 2 cm in diameter and place on a prepared baking tray.
  5. Place a halved peanut on top of the dough balls and press slightly into the dough.
  6. Glaze with beaten egg (I omitted).
  7. Bake at 200 degC for 15-20 mins.
  8. Remove and let cookies cool on tray for 5 mins before transferring to wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. spear this looks very good i love this peanut cookies since young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess, I love peanut cookies too! But I think store-bought ones probably tastes better than these...LOL.

    ReplyDelete