Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's a Brand New Year: Sugee Cookies



On New Year's Day, my friends came over to my place for a long-over-due baking session. We have already decided to bake some Chinese New Year cookies since it's less than a month away. As ambitious as ever, we decided on Kueh Bankit, Sugee cookies and peanut cookies. But as expected, we could only managed to squeeze in Kueh Bankit and Sugee in the limited time we had. It was my first attempt in making these cookies and honestly, I didn't have high hopes for it. Sure, the kueh bankit turned out hard and crispy, the sugee turned out not fantastic either, but we had a great afternoon of chatting, laughing, and wii-playing, followed by a great dinner at 85 market. No better way to spend New Year's Day!

I'm honestly quite disappointed with the Sugee cookies. I was hoping for the tender type of cookies which my aunt gave us many years ago. So when yesterday's attempt turned out to be like crispy butter cookies, I decided to try another recipe today.



This recipe uses a lower ghee to flour ratio, so the dough is not as oily as yesterday's. And there is no egg added as well.



Instead of caster sugar, this recipe uses icing sugar, which explains why the balls stayed in shape during baking. However, I burnt my first batch of cookies. The recipe states 25-30 mins of baking time and I simply assumed that that will be accurate. I couldn't be more wrong. The cookies turned dark and hard after 20 mins of baking.



Perhaps my oven was too hot, so I changed the mode of my oven and baked for 15 mins. The cookies turned out quite well: the compact and tender type which I ate years ago. I still have half a can of ghee left. Probably another round of sugee cookies this coming weekend.

Ingredients:

125 g ghee, melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
250 g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
85 g icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
  1. Melt and cool ghee.
  2. Add vanilla extract and stir.
  3. In another mixing bowl, sift flour, icing sugar, baking soda and salt together.
  4. Pour in ghee mixture and mix to form a dough.
  5. Roll dough into small balls (about 1 tsp of dough) and place on a lined baking sheet.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 10-15 mins.
  7. The cookies should be yellowish and not brown.
Recipe adapted from QBB website with some modifications.

3 comments:

  1. QBB has alot of good cookies recipes and this is one of my favorite too!! look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess,
    Thanks for dropping by! Oh yeah, I'm gonna bookmark some of those recipes =). And yes, I will make another batch before submitting to the aspiring bakers #3 event you are hosting!
    Happy new baking year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks spear! can't wait to see your submissions!

    ReplyDelete