Saturday, March 19, 2011

Smelly Stinky Durian Puffs...Not!



I can't remember when my love affair with durian started. I used to hate it when I was a child. When my dad brought durian home, I would hide in the room and pinch my nose because the stink from the fruit would be so overwhelming. But I've grown to love this fruit, as much as other people in this south-east asian region. Then again, I do have friends who hate durian. I would say my dear friend XL has a weird taste in food. She not only dislikes durian, she dislikes coffee and chocolates. Ok...coffee, perhaps I can understand. But chocolates? (I wonder if she is an Earthling. LOL.)



Anyway, the durian season is here again. This is just the start of the season and durians are really pricy now. I didn't expect to pay $43 for 9 small durians that barely filled my tupperware. I should have waited till a little longer for the price to drop...but can't help it...I just have the urge for durian puffs. So so the usual goes: choux pastry, whipping cream, durian flesh.



I made small bite-sized ones so that I don't over-indulge, but this is not of any help because I downed 4 puffs right after filling the shells. Somehow I find smaller puffs able to rise better in the oven and they look prettier than the large ones.



The best thing about home-made durian puffs? Go crazy on the filling! Ever since I started baking, I stopped buying durian puffs, because nothing beats home-made ones.

Ingredients (makes about 35 mini puffs):

Choux Pastry:
105 g flour
3/4 tsp caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
83 g unsalted butter
180 ml water
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Filling:
200 ml whipping cream
500 g durian flesh

Method:
Choux Pastry:
  1. Preheat oven to 210 deg C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. In a bowl sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Set aside
  3. Place the butter and water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
  4. Remove from heat and, with a wooden spoon or spatula, quickly add the flour mixture. Return to heat and stir constantly until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a thick smooth ball (about a minute or two).
  5. Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and stir for a minute or two to release the steam from the dough.
  6. Once the dough is lukewarm start adding the lightly beaten eggs gradually and continue to mix until you have a smooth thick paste.
  7. Pipe dough into 1 inch circles onto the baking sheet, spacing them 2 cm apart. Press the peaks down with a wet finger.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 180 deg C.
  9. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until the shells are a nice amber color and when split, are dry inside.
Filling:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream till soft peaks form.
  2. Fold in durian flesh.
To Assemble:
  1. Split the pastry shells in half and spoon in durian filling.
  2. Dust with icing sugar to decorate (optional).
Adapted from Joyofbaking Cream Puffs.

5 comments:

  1. hehe maybe i'm another weird person - i like durians but only when i eat the flesh off the seed and not the flesh in puffs or cakes :/ but i do like choux puffs and yours look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy! =D

    Haha, Janine, that's the way I feel about some fruits too, like cherries. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like durian puffs!! :) So adorable little puffs you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hanushi! The durian season is here again *rub hands with glee*.

    ReplyDelete