Sunday, March 20, 2011

Strawberry Chocolate Muffins



It's the strawberry season again, where punnets of Korean strawberries are sold at an attractive price of $3.65 at NTUC. With 2 punnets in the fridge, I decided to bake a batch of strawberry muffins this morning to my mom's dismay. As easy as baking muffins can be, my muffins don't always turn out well. I had my fair share of dry and hard muffins, so baking muffins to me is a challenge and I'm always nervous to know the outcome of each session.



The original recipe calls for only strawberries, but I decided to add some chopped chocolate because I love the combination of fresh strawberries with chocolate. Honestly, I don't really like the use of fresh fruits in baking . So far, I have tried fresh apples, strawberries and blueberries, and I do not really favour the final product. I feel that the high heat of the oven had spoilt the taste and juices of the fresh fruit. Today's muffins turned out to be very soft but I don't fancy the mushy strawberries. Perhaps I just need some getting used to.

Ingredients (makes 6):

100 g cake flour
60 g brown sugar
20 g egg
80 g milk
80 g fresh strawberries, diced
30 g corn oil (I used canola oil)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder (I substitute with vanilla)
1/4 tsp salt
50 g chocolate, chopped (optional)

Method:
  1. Mix egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract (if using) into a bowl. Stir in sugar and salt. Add in diced strawberries and mix.
  2. In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder (if using).
  3. Add flour mixture and chopped chocolate (if using) into liquid mixture from (1) and fold until just incorporated.
  4. Fill muffin cups till 2/3 full.
  5. Bake at 180 degC for 20-30 mins.
Recipe adapted from Junzhi's 草莓麦芬.

9 comments:

  1. ahhh this looks so delicious!!! strawberry and chocolate yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey if it helps - i usually freeze my strawberries before putting them into the muffin batter - it makes it less mushy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffins look inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE (: though is mashy but the juice actually gives it a little moisture. yummy!
    congrats! i've got award for you. pick it up from my blog (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jess and Cathy!

    Thanks for the tip, Janine! I'll definitely try freezing the berries the next time!

    Yes Jasmine, I realize the juice do keep the muffins moist, and the strawberries shriveled up the next day...haha. Thanks for the award! My very first one =D. I'll write a post on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried strawberry in bakes yet, even though I like to eat strawberry on its own. Your looks very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful muffins!! Fabulous photos! What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Hanushi, I love strawberries on its own too!

    Thanks Veronica! Thanks for dropping by too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I MUST MAKE THIS!!!
    So, like sweet as sugar cookies, I have decided to do linky party, but this one it themed! I'd like to invite you to stop by and link up your themed treat! This week's theme is strawberries! Can't wait to see what you're bringing!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/04/bakers-monday.html

    ReplyDelete