Saturday, April 9, 2011

And Life Goes On: Marble Cake



Life goes on, and so do my baking sessions. After last week's yogurt cake, it's another yogurt cake this week. That's because I bought a twin pack of plain yogurt and I don't like to eat plain yogurt on it's own. This is not exactly a yogurt cake, because it is actually a low-fat marble cake which uses yogurt as one of its main ingredients. I used the recipe from Mandy's blog which was adapted from Alice Medrich's Chocolate and The Art of Low Fat Desserts.



Clumsiness took over me today as I dropped my electric beater on the floor resulting in butter and sugar on the floor and walls. Luckily, I've only lost a small fraction of the batter. I'm more worried if my beater suffered any trauma.



I've never thought that marbling can be so difficult. I simply cannot decide where to place the dollops of brown and white batter to get a nice marbled surface! In the end, the surface looked hideous. Not that I really care, since I'm going to slice it up straight away anyway. The cake rised quite a bit in the oven and resulted in a cracked surface.



Looks like a volcanic eruption to me, lol. I guess I was too conservative on the marbling. There were still large patches of brown and white areas. In addition, there were large holes in the cake. The cake is a little dry as compared to store-bought marble pound cakes. But with the much lower amount of butter used, I'm not really complaining.



Ingredients (6" cake pan):

130 g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coffee powder
15 g cocoa powder
2 tbsp water
95 g sugar
1 egg, lightly beatened
42 g butter
120 ml plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line base and sides of a 6" cake pan with parchment paper.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, combine coffee powder, cocoa powder and 25 g sugar with 2 tbsp water. Stir and mix until smooth. Set aside.
  4. Cream butter and remaining sugar (70g) until light and fluffy. Dribble in egg slowly and keep beating.
  5. On low speed, beat in 1/3 of flour mixture. On medium high speed, beat in 1/2 of yogurt. On low speed, beat in 1/2 of remaining flour mixture. On medium high speed, beat in the rest of yogurt and vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in remaining flour mixture.
  6. Measure out 3/4 cup of batter and mix into the cocoa mixture in step 3. Set aside.
  7. Use a large spoon to fill the bottom of the pan with 3/4 of white batter placed in dollops. Cover white batter with dollops of chocolate batter. Top chocolate batter with white batter such that some chocolate batter shows through.
  8. Use a table knife to marble batters together in zigzag or circular fashion.
  9. Bake at 180 deg C for 30-35 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  10. Cool for 10-15 mins before unmolding.
Adapted from Mandy's Low-Fat Chocolate Marble Cake.


It's the first working week without my grandma. The house is quieter, without the shuffling of her bedroom slippers as she walked around in the house, without the songs and dialogue of her favourite drama series 愛, without the sounds from her radio which accompanied her to sleep every night. Athough we are now busier than before with additional household chores which my grandma used to help out with, our house has been more peaceful than usual. There was no losing of temper for the past week, which was quite a feat for our bad-tempered nature. If there is one thing to be learnt from the whole ordeal, it is to cherish the people close to us. I know that sounds cliche but it is now that I fully understand this, although it may have been too late. Nevertheless, I consider each day spent with my family as a gift, and will enjoy such days as much as I can.

3 comments:

  1. still, the cake look yummy! ((:
    take care! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not good with doing marbelling effect too. As for the volcano, oven temp might be too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jasmine. It still has lots of room for improvement. =)

    Thanks Edith for the tip! I will take note of the temperature the next time I bake this.

    ReplyDelete