Macarons...again. Not that I like to eat them, but rather, I like to make them. This week, I used a different recipe from my usual and changed it to matcha flavoured ones.
I was too lazy to bring out my blender to grind the almond meal, so that explains the rough surface. This recipe uses less caster sugar, so I'm worried about a less stable meringue. And true enough, the batter deflated more than usual. The shells were thinner than my usual ones, but at least they didn't crack like my first attempt.
The shells were chewier than my usual ones and I do prefer these chewy ones. To balance off the sweetness of the shells, I added very little sugar to the red bean paste. As you can see from the picture, the red bean paste is dry and not creamy. I was contemplating whether or not to make red bean paste buttercream instead of using all red bean paste. In the end, to save the calories of the fat, I decided on the latter. Since the paste is quite dry and crumbly, sandwiching the shells with it is tougher than usual. Overall, the macarons are still very sweet. But at least the red bean paste somewhat balanced off some of the sweetness. Update: I really should have made the buttercream instead. The moisture in the bean paste made the macaron shells soggy in a few hours.
To continue on the macaron craze, I have turned to crocheting a macaron, well, sort of.
It's supposed to be a macaron coin purse. I got the design from a book I bought in Taipei last year. Of course, this looks very different from the picture in the book. I would love to think of the pouch as a chocolate flavoured macaron with chocolate ganache filling and the mini one attached to the zip as strawberry flavoured with buttercream filling. Lol.