Sunday, May 15, 2011

For the Banana Lovers: Banana Sponge Cake



I wasn't planning on baking anything today, but gave in to my mum's naggings. I bought a bunch of bananas on Friday to bake this banana sponge cake. After a bit of researching online, I gathered that bananas used for baking are best to be overiped, aka blackened bananas. So I planned to bake this sometime next week when the bananas have turned slightly black, but my mum insisted that the bananas will rot by next week, so I gave in eventually and pushed this plan forward by 2 days.



In my hasty and jittery attempt, I didn't take many pictures of the process. I'm not good at sponge cakes or anything that requires egg-beating. My experience with the whole-egg method has not been a very good one, with a success rate of about 50%. I was "gung ho" enough to try out HHB's modified recipe and the good thing is her recipe has slightly less oil than the original. I had scaled down her recipe and was intending to bake this in a 7-inch pan, but I was probably still in slumberland, I prepared a 6-inch pan instead. This explains the 3 cupcakes containing the extra batter.



Thankfully, the batter did not deflate much while I folded in the flour and the oil mixture. The boo-boo I made was during the unmolding, when I handled the cake too roughly and it cracked. But nonetheless, the cake is very soft and moist and the banana flavour is rich. Perfect for the banana lovers out there.

Ingredients (makes one 7-inch cake):

2 eggs, room temperature
85 g caster sugar
200 g (2 large ripened) bananas
100g cake flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
50 ml vegetable oil
15 ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Grease or line a 7-inch pan with parchment paper.
  2. Sift cake flour with baking powder and baking soda twice. Set aside.
  3. Mix vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract in another mixing bowl. Set aside.
  4. Cut bananas into chunks or mash them with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.
  5. Add sugar and eggs to the bananas and whisk at low speed to break up the bananas. Whisk at high speed until ribbon stage (Takes about 5-7 mins). Whisk at low speed for another 1-2 mins to stabilize the air bubbles.
  6. Sift in flour mixture in thirds, folding gently after each addition to incorporate the flour.
  7. Pour a little of the batter (about 1/4) to the oil mixture and fold until the mixture is well mixed.
  8. Pour the oil mixture back to the rest of the batter and fold gently until incorporated.
  9. Pour batter into prepared pan and tap the pan to get rid of large bubbles.
  10. Bake at 160 deg C for 40 mins until cooked and surface turns brown.
  11. Unmold and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Happy Home Baking's Banana Sponge Cake.


4 comments:

  1. very light and fluffy banana cake! i love this to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess! This cake is highly recommended for banana lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. may i know the egg are u just beat at high speed?how to test it already done?how u to folding in the flour?i try with 6inch mould it didnt rise and quite short.i try few times the bottom will be shrink to inside and the top is flat like didnt rise.may i know wat are the problem?are u using springform pan for making tis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, beat at high speed to "ribbon stage". This is very important. If you underbeat or overbeat the eggs, the cake will not rise. Here is a good overview of the ribbon stage: http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.sg/2007/07/strawberry-mango-cake.html

    For me, I failed the first time round I made a sponge cake with this method. I suspected I underbeat the eggs. The beatened egg batter was not very stable and deflated while I folded in the flour. The resulting cake was very flat and hard.

    My pan has a removable base. It is not a springform pan, but a springform pan should work fine too.

    ReplyDelete