Saturday, May 21, 2011

Going Bananas: Black-Bottom Banana Cake



I think I'm starting to like bananas. As a fruit-lover, I have a long list of favourite fruit, but bananas have never been on my list. My friends MY, XL, TT and XP will also understand why I stayed clear of bananas for the past 2 years. After amost 19 days of banana-binge in Europe, it s enough to make us sick of it. Last week's banana sponge cake marks my first try in baking with bananas. I like the cake so much, I decided to try out other banana-bakes. The only downside of baking with banana is....buying bananas. They usually come in a bunch and I only need 1 or 2 for baking. Although my parents love bananas, they seldom eat them because of their gastric problems and bananas are known to cause "wind" in the stomach. So in the end, I bought one banana from my campus' canteen yesterday and bring it all the way home for today's bake.



The black-bottom banana bars has been highly recommended by many bloggers and it looks like it has taken the flogosphere by storm! SSB, Min, Jess, and Wen are some of the bloggers who have tried and given thumbs-up for this cake. So here's yours truly joining in the fun. The procedure is simple and almost fool-proof. To me, the most difficult step is probably to even out the chocolate and banana layers, but even that is not too challenging.



I ran out of chocolate chips, so I chopped up some walnuts for topping instead. This was meant to be "squares" or "bars", but I baked it in a round tin instead, because cheapo me only own a 7" and 6" round cake tin.



So the final product is neither a "square" nor "bar" but a "wedge". Nevertheless, it still live up to its name of being "black-bottom". I must say, this recipe is definitely a keeper and I'm adding one more thumbs-up to this.

I'm submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted. I think I'm probably the 101st person to send in this recipe for this event. =D

Ingredients (makes one 6-inch round cake):

55 g butter
30 g sugar
1/2 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100 g banana (1 large banana)
85 g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
15 g cocoa powder
Chocolate chips for topping ( I used chopped wanuts)

Method:
  1. Line bottom of cake tin with parchment paper and grease sides of cake tin.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Drizzle in egg, vanilla extract and mashed bananas and beat until creamy.
  4. Sift in cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in 3 additions. Mix well after each addition.
  5. Divide batter into 2. Add cocoa powder to one portion and mix well.
  6. Pour chocolate batter into cake tin and spread evenly with a spatula.
  7. Pour plain batter on top of chocolate batter and spread evenly.
  8. Sprinkle chocolate chips/ walnuts on top.
  9. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 20-25 mins.
Recipe adapted from SSB and Min's Blog.

3 comments:

  1. Your round version also looks just as good! Actually I also have only a few baking tins. My friend ask why my oreo cheesecake is so small. Because I only have a 6 inch round tin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice version from you, like the idea of adding chopped walnut on top of the cake, made it more fragant & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey SSB, haha...I can understand the agony of having very few tins. I have to scale down recipes all the time to fit my tins. And I always keep a lookout for your chiffon cake recipes, because like you, I also only have a 16 cm chiffon mold.

    Thank you Doris, this recipe is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete