Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tart, Tangy, Lemon Bars



No, my baking activity is not on hiatus although I haven't been updating my baking projects. It's just that the past 2 baking attempts have not been very successful. 2 weeks ago, I made a no-bake mango yogurt cake wih leftover sponge fingers from the tiramsu. It wasn't entirely a failure, just that the sponge fingers were "swimming around" in the yogurt mixture and te outcome wasn't a pretty sight, so I decided to abandon the photo-taking session. The cake was refreshing and I actually like the soggy sponge fingers.

Last week was my first attempt in making lemon bars. I have bookmarked the recipe for the lemon bars since last year, and I finally got down to baking it last week. The outcome was a total disaster and is a typical example of the saying 厲害就好,不要假厲害. I'm so used to lining baking tins with parchment paper, I decided to do the same for the lemon bars. What a huge mistake that was. The shortcrust pastry pulled away from the sides and bottom from the pan after baking and the filling seeped through the sides and bottom. It was still edible though, just that I had to scrap the lemon curd from the bottom of the cake tin and spread it on the pastry, like butter on toast.

With the failed attempt last week, I decided to give it another try this week, sans the parchment paper.



The shortcrust pastry still pulled away slightly from the pan, but I was positive the filling will not seep through like the previous attempt. As for the filling, I decreased the sugar by a quarter. Perhaps I have beatened the mixture too much, there were ttoo much bubbles.



I should have strained the filling before pouring onto the pastry. The bubbles left an unsightly white film on the surface. Here comes icing sugar to the rescue.



I like the tangy filling and the fragrance of fresh lemons. But the pastry was not as crisp as I hoped it would be.

3 comments:

  1. this still look very lovely and refreshing! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite!!!! tangy and sweet in a bar! yours looks way better then mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jasmine and Jess,I've always thought lemon bars are easy to make...but I was dead wrong. Lol.

    ReplyDelete