Saturday, September 17, 2011

Back to Basics 2: Chocolate Cupcakes



To be honest, I have lost most energy and courage to bake anything fanciful. So this explains my second week (and more weeks to come) of "back to basics". This week, I decided to bake something using cocoa powder, before mine expires in 2 months' time.



I remembered watching a video on chocolate cupcakes on joyofbaking.com some time back and decided to give the recipe a try. I nearly forgot about my cute little square paper cups which I bought specially for the Hokkaido chiffion cakes. So instead of the coventional round cakes, I have square cupcakes.



The preparation of the batter was straightforward and I took care not to over-bake the cakes. Other than the cracks on the surface, I am rather pleased with the outcome. I decided to omit the fattening and sweet frosting and just eat the cake on its own. This recipe is definitely worth keeping!

Ingredients (makes 5 cupcakes):

25 g Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I used natural cocoa powder + 1/8 tsp baking soda)
120 ml boiling hot water
90 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
55 g butter
100 g sugar (I used 85 g)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
  2. In a small bowl, stir cocoa powder (and baking soda if using) with hot water until smooth. Leave to cool.
  3. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. In another mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg in 2 additions, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.
  5. Add in flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.
  6. Add in cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
  7. Fill cups until 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 mins, until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Do not over-bake or the cakes will be dry.
  8. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
Adapted from Joyofbaking's Chocolate Cupcakes.


5 comments:

  1. Nice chocolate cupcakes! I like your steps by steps photo shown. Will try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious! And you really don't need any topping! Thank you.
    Mari from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian,
    I love this recipe. Do try it!

    Hi NEL,
    Thanks! I've found someone who likes the square shape too. =D

    Hi Mari,
    Thanks from dropping by! I hope you like this recommendation.

    Hi Hanushi,
    Simple bakes can still be very satisfying, isn't it? =)

    ReplyDelete