Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back to Basics 3: Cookies



Baking session came early for me this week, on a Friday night. MY invited several of her friends, mostly with no baking experience, for a mass baking session. She cannot imagine the chaos that will be created in her kitchen, so she requested for my asistance. Of course, I'm ever-ready for a baking session. With so many newcomers, we settled on baking simple stuff like banana muffins and chocolate cookies.

This particular recipe was given by her friend, LL. This was supposed to replicate Famous Amos' cookies. I had tried it once earlier this year and it didn't turn out very good, possibly because I had used the wrong type of oats or because I reduced the sugar and chocolate. This attempt is much better and the cookies are really fragrant. As for whether they really resemble Famous Amos' cookies, I can't really tell as I can't even remember when was the last time I ate Famous Amos. I suggest avid bakers to give this a try and give me your verdict. This recipe is in American terms, so for bakers like me who are more familiar with weight, feel free to convert the quantity to grams.

Ingredients (makes a humongous lot):

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Cadbury bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Method:
  1. Cream the butter and both sugars.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together.
  3. Add flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate
    chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Mix.
  4. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees (180 degC).

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I read about this recipe before and it does sound very good. About the oatmeal, what kind of oats should we use? Rolled oats or those instant type? And did you find the cookie very sweet? I'm thinking if I should reduce the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine,
    I got better results with rolled oats than instant.
    I did reduce the sugar by a little (I used a measuring cup to measure the sugar but didn't fill up to the brim), and I find the level of sweetness acceptable. I made a few tweaks though: I used dark chocolate instead of Hershey/ Cadbury bar and I omitted the nuts. I guess with the addition of the nuts, the sweetness will be reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the reply :) so this recipe has the sugar reduced already or is it the original amount?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janine,
    This recipe states the original amount.

    ReplyDelete