Sunday, October 30, 2011

Jittery, Lemony Chiffon



I can't remember when was the last time I baked a chiffon cake. I only remembered my experience with chiffon has not been a fantastic one. But I do love the challenge of baking them, which explains why I keep going back to chiffon cakes when I run out of baking ideas. Since I have some lemons lying around in the fridge, I decided to try out this recipe which I have bookmarked last year.



To be honest, I was having the jitters when preparing the batter. As usual, I can't tell when to stop beating the egg whites, so I did it entirely by gut feeling. The result was not too bad, and the usual problem of a dense layer at the bottom was non-existent! I was really quite happy with the outcome, although I cheated by using baking powder to make the cake rise. Lol.



Ingredients (16 cm tube pan):

65 g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
26 g caster sugar
32.5ml oil
32.5 ml water
17.5 ml lemon juice
Zest from 1 lemon

2 egg whites
26 g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt together, set aside.
  2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
  3. Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl, add sugar in 3 separate additions and with a manual whisk, whisk till the mixture becomes sticky and turns pale.
  4. Drizzle in the oil, whisking at the same time till the mixture is well combined. Repeat the same with the water, followed by the lemon juice.
  5. Sieve over the flour mixture and whisk until flour mixture is fully incorporated into the batter. Add in the lemon zest and mix well.
  6. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until mixture becomes frothy and foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar and beat on high speed until just before stiff peaks form.
  7. Add the beaten egg white into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
  8. Pour batter into a 16cm (6 inch) tube pan. Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
  9. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degC for 35 ~ 40mins or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  10. Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Let cool completely before unmould. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and the center core. Release the cake and run the knife along the base of the pan to remove the cake.
Adapted from Happy Home Baking's Lemon Chiffon Cake.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Spear,
    Love your blog and this Fluffy Chiffon.
    You're a passionate baker and I would love to invite you to join World Homebakers Alliance. :)

    My mission is to
    - Unite every passionate homebakers in this planet.
    - Making them the preferred choice (compare to factory products) by the consumers.

    Please join us and improve homebaking.

    http://homebakers-alliance.com/

    You can share your recipe with us here or even join the crazy experiment contest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gave me great quinces, and the recipe that I am not happy, I am very grabs! thank you in advance
    I board a good recipe already dealt a site like this http://le-couscous-marocain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete